Ohio Flag

The Official Summit County Ohio Board of Elections Website.

Summit County Board of Elections Building

Voter Registration Application By Mail

To use this form to register to vote, you will need:

  • Adobe Reader to be able to open and complete the form.
  • Your Ohio driver license number, if you have one, or the last four digits of your social security number.
  • A paper printer so you can print the voter registration form, sign it, and mail it to your county elections official.
  • SoS Online Voter Registration


Please be aware that we need your ORIGINAL signature on this document. We cannot accept digital signatures of any kind. Register Online by downloading the PDF application below or requesting the form(s) be sent to you.

Frequently Asked Questions

Voter Eligibility

You are qualified to vote if:

  • You are a citizen of the United States.
  • You are at least 18 years old on or before the day of the general election. If you will be 18 on or before November 8, 2016 you may vote in the primary election for candidates, but not on issues.
  • You will be a resident of Summit County for at least 30 days immediately before the election.
  • You are not incarcerated (in prison or jail) for a felony conviction under the laws of the United States, this state or any other state of the United States.
  • You have not been declared incompetent for voting purposes by a probate court.
  • You have not been permanently disenfranchised for violations of the election laws.
  • You register to vote at least 30 days before the election.

What if I have moved or changed my name?

If you are already registered to vote in Summit County, update your voter registration by submitting a new Voter Registration Card to the Board of Elections.

You can now change your address online using the Ohio Secretary of State’s website.
To change your address online click here.

How is Residency Determined?

By law, your residence is the place to which, whenever you are absent, you have the intention to return. If you continuously reside outside of Ohio for a period of four years or more, you are not a resident of this state for voter registration purposes, except if you are absent from Ohio because of federal or state government employment, including military service.

Can a Student Vote from his/her School Address?

Yes, if the student regards that place as his/her residence and registers to vote. Otherwise, the student must vote in his/her home community, if registered there.

Does Everyone have to be Registered by the Deadline?

Yes, voters are required to be registered to vote 30 days prior to the election.

Where can I register?

  • At any county board of elections or the Secretary of State’s office.
  • At public libraries.
  • At the offices of the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
  • At any public high school or vocational school.
  • By mail.
  • Offices of designated agencies including:
    • The Department of Job and Family Services;
    • The Department of Health (including the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program);
    • The Department of Mental Health;
    • The Department of Developmental Disabilities;
    • The Rehabilitation Services Commission; or
    • Any state-assisted college or university that provides assistance to disabled students.

You may request a registration form from a board of elections by mail, telephone, in person or by having another person obtain it for you. After completing the form, return it to the Summit County Board of Elections, 470 Grant Street Akron, OH 44311. Mailed registration forms must be sent to the Summit County Board of Elections and must be postmarked 30 days before an election to be valid for that election. Persons registering by mail must provide identification information when attempting to vote for the first time, unless the person provides his/her current Ohio driver’s license number or the last four digits of his/her social security number on the registration form. The identification information is either: a copy of a current and valid photo identification; or a copy of a utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document showing name and address.

Do I declare my politics when I register?

No. Under Ohio law, your party affiliation is determined by the ballot you vote in a primary election.

What if I change my address or name?

If you are now registered and move within the state or change your name, you must report the change to the board of elections by completing a voter registration form at the locations previously mentioned or by mail. You may also complete a notice of change in voting status and file it with the court when you apply for a marriage license or when your name is changed by court order. Mailed forms must be sent to the Summit County Board of Elections at least 30 days before an election.

Forms not returned by mail should be received by a board of elections, a public high school or vocational school, public library, office of any Bureau of Motor Vehicles, county treasurer’s office or designated agency at least 30 days before an election.

You can now change your address online using the Ohio Secretary of State’s website.
To change your address online click here.